Tab Stack for Safari

December 1, 2015

I recently decided to try switching from Chrome to Safari for a while… to see if it might buy me a little more battery life on my aging MacBook Pro. One of the immediate drawbacks I discovered was realizing how accustomed I had become to the Tab Stack extension for Chrome. It’s a simple workaround for MRU (most recently used) tab ordering that moves the active tab to the left after a brief delay (the delays lets you scan through tabs without re-ordering them). It’s a bit hacky and I’m sure a lot of people wouldn’t care for the approach, but I’m used to it and immediately noticed its absence in Safari.

I googled around and didn’t find an equivalent extension for Safari… so I made one and submitted it to Apple’s gallery. I’ve added an extra hack to mitigate Safari’s insistence on clearing the address bar when tabs are moved (move new tabs immediately) as a version 1.1.

6 Comments
Geekoid
January 31, 2016 @ 4:41 pm

I see your extension was accepted by Apple. Congrats and thanks for sharing it!

Would you consider the possibility of adding multiple rows of tabs? I used Tab Mix Plus on Firefox, but haven’t found anything like that for Safari.

burke
    February 27, 2016 @ 6:51 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Geekoid. Unfortunately, my feeble skills & limited time restrict me to trivial tweeks like Tab Stack (only a few lines of code).

Wish I could help, but multiple rows of tabs (or nearly any other feature of Tab Mix Plus) are out of reach for this developer. Sorry.

Bryan
January 4, 2017 @ 4:21 pm

Links seem to be broken.

burke
    February 11, 2017 @ 12:44 am

Thanks for the heads up. I’ve fixed the link.

David
February 11, 2017 @ 12:48 pm

This is great. Thanks!

One small issue: I’ve noticed that if I’m composing an email in Gmail and I switch to another tab and then switch back to the Gmail tab, then, when the Gmail tab is moved to the top of the stack, the cursor moves to the beginning of the email. (I haven’t noticed similar behavior with regard to generic boxes for text input — only with Gmail.) I’m not sure if anything can be done about this, but I thought I’d at least let you know.

burke
    March 9, 2017 @ 12:49 am

Thanks for the feedback David. All the Tab Stack extension is doing is moving the tab, so it doesn’t make sense why the cursor would jump around. It looks like this is a bug with Gmail in Safari. To demonstrate the bug is independent of Tab Stack, you can disable Tab Stack, compose an email in Gmail in a tab that isn’t the leftmost tab, and then manually move your tab to the leftmost position.

I don’t know if it’ll help, but I submitted a bug report here: https://goo.gl/IHNzC8